I'm a Catholic homeschooling mama of seven kids. Four are adults now, and living at various stages of life out of the house. Two of my adult daughters are getting married this year. Here's where I'll be hanging out my laundry, gaining perspective, and, down the road, have something to remember all the wooshing days.

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Love and Lemon Bars

A lot has happened in the last two weeks.

Many decisions made, work done, long term look at What Happens Now.

We had a Mass for my Mom last week.  It was beautiful and healing.

On Sunday we had a Celebration of Life for my Mom at the family home, where we spent most of our childhood years.  My Dad lives there on his own.  With many of us there a lot.  I hope he doesn't feel smothered, but I want to smother him right now.

Three weeks ago, at Mary's wedding, I gave a little toast to my Mom.  I'd like to share it with you now, because it feels like enough time has passed since that toast that I can write it out without too many tears on the keyboard.

"Most of you already know that we lost our Mom very suddenly just ten days ago.  I have a few words I'd like to say to Mary and Francis...well mostly Francis, but I'd like to offer a toast to Mom first.

One of the last conversations I had with my Mom (well, really it was more of a directive) was, 'Don't forget the lemon bars.  There are a hundred lemon bars in the freezer for Mary's wedding.'

Mom was a great cook, and Mary had asked if she would contribute her amazing lemon bars to the dessert buffet.  Mom can't be here in body, but we know she is her in spirit and lemon bars.

Here's to Patricia Burnett, Mom, Grandma, Auntie Pat...

we love you and miss you."


No comments:

Post a Comment