I'm a Catholic homeschooling mama of seven kids. Four are adults now, and living at various stages of life out of the house. Two of my adult daughters are getting married this year. Here's where I'll be hanging out my laundry, gaining perspective, and, down the road, have something to remember all the wooshing days.

Friday, July 3, 2015

Gasp!

I was thinking this morning...gosh.  Lucy and Ian's wedding is coming up really soon.  It must be in less than ninety days by now (there is a wedding day countdown on their website).  So, rather than count on the calendar, because that is really hard, I just checked out that useful countdown tool.
Seventy-one days!

Gasp!  That's like, seventy - only one more - (a quote from my son).

It's not time to panic yet, though, Scout.  But it is time for mama to shop for a dress.  The two days before Mary's wedding WAS cutting it pretty fine.  And shopping for a dress for your daughter's wedding IS pretty fun.  Oh, sure I could wear the same dress, but where's the fun in that?

So here are some questions that go through my head when thinking about my daughter getting married.

Have I prepared her well for married life?
Did I give good example in faith, commitment, friendship, communication?
Was I enough...was mothering enough?

Well, here's the bad news.  No.  I have not done all these things perfectly.  Many times I have not even done them well.  But the good example, the preparation, the formation...these were (and still are) the goal.
And that matters.  It matters because, falling short as often as I do...I know where I would like to be.  And so does she.  And we'll get there.

The good news?  Grace abounds.
Where I've fallen short, grace abounds.

"Grace is favour, free and undeserved..."  (CCC 1996)

No comments:

Post a Comment