I'm a Catholic homeschooling mama of seven kids. Four are adults now, and living at various stages of life out of the house. Two of my adult daughters are getting married this year. Here's where I'll be hanging out my laundry, gaining perspective, and, down the road, have something to remember all the wooshing days.

Sunday, August 23, 2015

She's Ready

Lucy is getting married in less than three weeks.  She's ready.

I know she's ready because she is calm and happy.  She's not freaking out about All The Things.  

In fact, I think All The Things are in order.  

We leave home in twelve days to come and help prepare all the Week Before the Wedding Things.  Like make the stuff and drive to the places and get the things and hang with the in-laws-to-be and practice walking up the aisle.  Don't worry, Scout.  Dad's all practiced up.

I have this vague anxiety that gnaws at me.  

I was in Ontario when my Mom got sick.  We were days away from a wedding when we lost her.  

As the trip to Ontario and the next wedding approaches, some vague anxieties stir in my belly.  I wish I could ignore them, but I can't.  Better to acknowledge it, talk myself down, remind myself that it's an irrational fear.  Something earth-shattering and life changing probably isn't going to happen.  And if it does, what am I going to do about it anyway?  God's timing is not my timing.  I don't get to be in charge of All The Things.  I'm not master of the universe.  

It's been a year of beautiful things and of adversity on many levels.  The beautiful brides - starting new lives.  Creating new homes and becoming new families.  Signs of heaven.  Love.  Beauty.  Joy.   

The hard things - signs of heaven, too.   A new home where burdens don't exist.  Where I'll get to be with all my family, past, present, future. 
Where love, beauty and joy aren't just signs but living, breathing eternity.  

Pray for our bride, and her fiance as they prepare for marriage.  


2 comments: