I'm a Catholic homeschooling mama of seven kids. Four are adults now, and living at various stages of life out of the house. Two of my adult daughters are getting married this year. Here's where I'll be hanging out my laundry, gaining perspective, and, down the road, have something to remember all the wooshing days.

Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Wisdom and Riches

Tonight we had an engagement party for Lucy and Ian, who are to be married in September.  Why yes, we are lunatics, thanks for asking.  We did this thing primarily because many of our dear friends from here will not make it to their wedding in September in Ottawa, and we wanted to give those dear friends of ours an opportunity for congratulations, sharing in the wedding proceedings and offer the young couple farewell.

Two days after a wedding turns out, after all, to be an excellent time to have an engagement party.  You have all the flowers, booze, dessert, paper plates, napkins and festive atmosphere in place already.

So awesome.

I'll tell you what's awesomest, though.

An impropmptu sharing of wisdom, history, stories and successes that accompany such a gathering.  I am, really and truly, the richest woman in the world.

I thank you for that, Katherine.  Layer upon endless layer of relationships, family, friendships, love, shared joy and grief, glasses of wine together, meals, children, without whom my life would never be interrupted into the reality of what really matters...and people who hold me tight for as long as I need them to and let me cry on them and share myself.

An engagement party.  A wisdom-fest.  A love story.  My love story and another manifestation of the love story of my mom and dad.

I am rich.
  

1 comment:

  1. So blessed to be a part of all the joy and wisdom and tears... love.

    ReplyDelete